Monday 10 June 2013

Carers Week 10 - 16 June 2013


A link to my guest post for carers week on what being a carer can sometimes feel like.


 I also wanted to share one of the great benefits that came from being carer for my daughter.

All my working life I’ve had a secret hankering to be a teacher.  To the extent that every job  I had, I found ways to incorporate teaching or training into the role.  I enjoyed being an accountant and just never felt confident enough to make the move.  I’m not sure what changed perhaps it was working to making things happen for E or perhaps watching her set her mind to something and then making it happen.  Either way I made the leap and here I am a maths teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia,

    Just read your guest post on BBC Ouch. I think you're an amazing mother and your daughter sounds equally amazing!

    Since you live in Scotland, I wanted to recommend a new play on the life of a child with CP, which will be at Edinburgh Fringe.

    It's called Don't Wake Me and it tells the life story of Nihal Armstrong who faced difficult battles for a mainstream education in the 1990s.

    http://dontwakeme.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback and details of the show. I listened to the interview with the writer on Woman's Hour about it and certainly will try and get along during the Fringe

      Delete